Okay, I know there are books out there ALL about sleeping schedules, and so forth. However, I have enjoyed cuddling my little girl to sleep for the past 8 months or so. Well 2 weeks ago we decided we needed to start putting her in her crib when she needed to go to sleep. Well everyone said oh she'll cry for the first little bit but it will get better. Well it is NOT getting better. She cries for 45 minutes to an hour EVERY night.
It is SO bad that Jeff can't handle it sometimes. I do think it is my fault because I still hold her for naps. My question is do I just need to let her cry for naps too? Is it all or nothing? I have loved cuddling her to sleep but I feel like (sadly) it is time for her to learn how to fall asleep on her own.
I could use some advice, because this is tough.
I find that it's waaay easier to have Benz cry it out when he is TIRED--like rubbing his eyes and yawning. If he's tired, he'll yelp for a few seconds to a few minutes then he'll fall asleep. If he's not tired, he'll cry bloody murder for longer. Nate still rocks him to sleep for naps, so I don't think it's bad that you cuddle her for naps and have her cry it out at night. Also, I find having a bedtime routine helps Benz know that it's bedtime (even though it's still light out outside). Bedtime routine includes changing his diaper, reading him his night. This is just what we do, it's not necessarily the RIGHT thing to do, but it is working for us. If you have any questions, call me!
ReplyDeletegood luck! She's do fine :)
Hey Brenda! Not that I have much experience, but my sister's baby is about the same age and they just made the same decision. She says they used Dr. Ferber's method of "cry it out" and it worked like a dream! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteBrenda, I had the exact same problem with B. I always held him for his naps, I rocked him to sleep at night, so he wasn't used to falling asleep on his own. I tried the CIO method on B and after going through that, I'm never going to do it again. Even though he was nine months old, it felt too cruel to me to make him scream himself to sleep. It wasn't his fault that I trained him to fall asleep on me, and it broke my heart hearing him cry, knowing all he wanted was to be with me. The truth is, there's really no need to rush them into falling asleep on their own. B's 2, and I still hold him while he falls asleep for his nap. Even though I can lay him in his bed when he's tired enough to fall asleep, I like being able to hold him as he falls asleep and set him down once he is. It's not a bad thing that Evelyn can't fall asleep on her own. I think one of the reasons B and I have such a good relationship is because I did hold him so often. She will eventually learn to fall asleep on her own. You can try setting her in her crib and sitting in the room with her while she falls sleep, and move farther away from the crib each night so she gradually gets used to the distance. You can also try singing to her while she's in her crib to soothe her to sleep. Just find a way to keep her comforted while she's in her crib, and if you try several things and nothing seems to work, just hold her. I promise you won't be rocking her to sleep forever. Relish the moments that you're able to hold her while she sleeps.
ReplyDeleteThis is my experience with Landon: (and just so you know he is NOT a sleeper. He has ALWAYS fought going to sleep.) When it is about 10 - 20 min before nap time and I can tell he is getting tired I put him in my baby carrier and wear him around the house while I clean up or something. (I also sing to him.) This really gets him relaxed and ready to sleep, and when he starts closing his eyes a ton I put him down in his crib. Sometimes he just rolls over and goes right to sleep, other times I have to rub his back and "shush" him and other times I leave and he perks right up and starts crying. If that happens, sometimes he will fall sleep about 5 - 10 minutes, but if not, I go in and rock/calm him, then repeat. For bedtime, we do bath, book, nurse, and then I put him down. Most of the time he falls asleep while nursing and then I put him down. I know you're not really suppose to do that but it's what works for him. I'm still trying to get him to sleep through the night. He's almost a year and still wakes up 1 - 2 times to nurse. Anyway, I'm just amazed you hold her for naps. Landon is so needy and literally at my legs like a barnacle all day long, and as much as I love how he ALWAYS must play with me/hang on me, I really look forward to my alone time when he naps. :) CIO is hard but it helped Landon break the happen of waking up EVERY hour during the night at 4 months old and has helped as we are gradually trying to get him to sleep through the night. But, I usually only let him cry at most 10 minutes then go calm him down/inset binky/etc... Good luck! Oh, another thought, Landon has a little lovey that I always give him when I put him down for sleep and I think that helps him as well.
ReplyDeletei know i am not a mom, but i did read a really good book! have you read the baby whisperer? it is pretty darn good. not that i have a baby to test it on, but she sounds like she knows her stuff! you should check it out! good luck!
ReplyDelete